Wednesday, January 16, 2013

On the subject of Downton Abbey

So, I've been watching Downton Abbey. Now, I'm only four episodes in so don't tell me anything. (Yes, I'm one of those super annoying people who, at the mention of whatever show I'm 3 seasons behind on, I stick my fingers in my ears and run from the room screaming "Lalalalalala!!!!")

Nine minutes into the first episode, Kevin looked at me and said "I can't understand a word they're saying." And 14 minutes in, he looked and me and said "I'm bored," and went off to find the best dessert option in the kitchen. So, this will be a show I watch by myself. Which is fine. I have Downton Abbey. Kevin has Walking Dead. This kind of explains our relationship. I'm early 19th century England. He's post-apocalyptic zombie world. It's a match made in heaven, truly.

Downton Abbey is a great show, so far. I love the characters already, but I especially am fascinated by how it took an army of people who dedicated their lives to running a household. There were people to cook, clean, tend the fireplaces, drive the cars, serve the tea and even dress the family, who, for the most part, lived a life of leisure - horseback riding, strolling in the garden and arranging marriages. The maids, butlers, footmen, cooks and valets would run around like mad, anticipating each and every need, rushing off to answer whatever request bell might ring at any hour. It was someone's job to pull the corsets tight and fasten the gentlemen's cuff links. So fancy just to have dinner at home with the immediate family! I can't imagine agreeing to wear a corset period, let alone just to hang out with my parents.

I was thinking about all of this today as I cooked dinner, packed tomorrow's lunches, gathered the 11 pairs of shoes that were somehow in my kitchen and fed the cats - all after putting in a day at the office. And I thought to myself...if I had even one person to, like, braid my daughter's hair while she whines about it, get me a clean pair of socks and change the cat litter...it would certainly be helpful. But - what would I do instead? I'd love to sit down and, say, watch a zillion episodes of Downton Abbey or read this week's Entertainment Weekly (all the latest on movies, music and TV without the trashy gossip!) But I would totally feel guilty sitting around while someone was doing "my" work. I would feel like I needed to alternately apologize to them and thank them repeatedly. I certainly wouldn't be able to relax.

I don't need someone to help me with the things I do to keep our family moving. I don't mind hair braiding, taco-making or even the litter box duties. I just need more time to do these things. However, if someone wants to be responsible for emptying the dishwasher (because I really, really hate doing that) come on over. I'll make you tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment